Thursday, September 6, 2012

The price of city life

I have now moved to my long-term Hong Kong location... whew! For the first time in over a month, I will be staying in one location for longer than a week! I am very happy to unpack and to stay put for a little while. I rented out a service apartment in Kowloon. The place is tiny (pretty much a double bed, some space to move around, and a bathroom), as expected of Hong Kong. But it is very clean and modern looking, and I am finding it very comfortable. I don't mind small spaces at all, and this one is so very cute!

Tiny, but I love it!


Of course, I celebrated my tiny corner in this city by having some dessert. It is almost the Mid-Autumn Festival, and mooncakes are being sold everywhere. For years, I have been hearing about this new type of cold "iced wrapper" mooncake. What is it?!? How does it taste?!!

Hmmm. They don't look like the traditional mooncakes.


Turns out, the "iced wrapper" is a thin layer of mochi! There were dozens of different flavors to choose from, so I picked a black sesame paste with hazelnut crunch. It was interesting, as the flavors seemed so familiar yet new at the same time. Taken with a nice cup of hot tea, it made for a perfect afternoon snack.

Mooncake guts!


Ah Hong Kong. I have a feeling that a large proportion of my upcoming posts will be about food!

No comments:

Post a Comment