Saturday, September 22, 2012

Teenage memories

When I was a teenager in Miami, I developed a taste for Hong Kong Pop music, of all things. With the popularity of karaoke in Asia and hot new stars, I strangely ignored the American scene and went back to my roots. Of course, this is a big reason why I speak Cantonese without an accent, so it was all for the good. And tonight, due to an old friend's generosity, I got to take a trip down my memory lane.

Finally got to go to the Hong Kong Coliseum!


I wasn't a huge Sally Yeh fan, but liked her enough to own a few cassette tapes. (Ha! Remember those?) She also hasn't put out new music in at least a decade, so I figured that I would recognize at least half her songs.

The stadium before the concert. We got great seats!


I wonder if it is every generation's ego that makes them think that they are cooler than the last. As Sally sang and danced across the stage, I wondered if mine was the first generation to stay so hip and energetic. And then she mentioned that she just turned 51. FIFTY ONE?!?! Three hours of belting out songs at full volume, dancing in 3 inch heels and she's 51!?? Amazing.

Yeah, the camera zoom doesn't work so well. This was outfit #2 of 5.


I did end up recognizing over half the songs, and the best were the ones I haven't heard in years. They sharply took me back to when I was a teenager listening to these songs in my room (sorry Pui, for blaring them so loudly!).

Guest stars: her stepson, and husband!


I'm glad I got to experience a live concert in Hong Kong, and from an artist whose songs I know! I have less than a week left here, and this was a very fun way to close out my trip.

2 comments:

  1. I just read about this on newspaper! Lots of classics. Very nice. Glad you enjoy your fist 红館 concert.

    ReplyDelete