Sunday, September 23, 2012

Nothing but seafood

I just realized my most immediate current problem is that I'm eating way too many good meals to be able to blog about all of them. Wow, life is good. I have at least 2 more meals to write about, which will have to wait until another day... because tonight's dinner was AMAZING.

Dinner tonight was with my uncle and his family, and I have quickly realized that my family (on both sides) know how to EAT. I really have to thank them all for taking me to these great places that I otherwise wouldn't have a chance to go to.

Tucked away in Clearwater Bay, in a valley amidst the shadows of rocky hills is a small fishing community. The houses are modest, the air is quiet and clean... and if you walk to a certain area, there are a couple restaurants grouped together that is packed to the gills to local Hong Kongers. What are they eating? Why, only some of the freshest, most exotic-looking seafood around. I absolutely love shellfish, and I felt like a personal Disneyland was opened before my eyes.

Me, looking hungry.


HUGE selection of freshly caught seafood


Clams and lobsters and crabs!


These were freaky looking. Called 'Mantis Shrimp' in English (which is
much nicer than the Cantonese name). This is the BEFORE picture.


Mantis Shrimp, AFTER. Cooked in spiced salt, the meat was sweet and
reminiscent of lobster. But incredibly, this is almost BETTER than
lobster, because the meat is much more tender.


Clams in black bean sauce. The freshness of the clams made them
extra sweet and juicy!


Steamed razor clams, topped with garlic and bean threads.


Fresh abalone! Not sure how these were cooked, my mouth was
too busy chewing to ask.


Sliced geoduck sashimi. I couldn't believe that something so ugly
(seriously, google 'geoduck') could be so delicately tasty! The thin slices
were slightly chewy and sweet. The non-sashimi portion of the geoduck
was used to make a rice congee, which was so good that I ate two
bowls of it!


Fresh scallops, steamed with ginger and bean threads


Seaweed fried rice, mixed with roe. I only had a couple bites of this
because I was too busy with the congee.


Even the veggie dish had seafood in it!
Baby bok choy stir fried with squid.


1 comment:

  1. SOOOOOOO Jealous. You don't understand how much my stomach is growling right now..........

    ReplyDelete