Sunday, September 30, 2012

SF MoMA

Time for a little cultural refreshment today! I visited the Museum of Modern Art, and came away with a few pieces that I liked (which sometimes doesn't happen with modern art!).

Reminds me of a comics panel


Can someone with an art degree explain to me why
Mondrian is so pervasive? I see this everywhere!


By an Italian artist. Called "The Vexations of The
Thinker".


I always wonder how much skill is involved with
paintings like these. They appeal to me in some weird
way though; I like the symmetry and simplicity. This
one was huge; over 9x9 feet. Sitting in front of it, the
colors seemed to pulsate and glow... kinda cool.


Untitled piece by American Barry McGee. I liked the boldness and size
of the collective piece (random standing man photographed to give
size context). Individually, each picture was quirky and offbeat and fun.


The ceiling and floor are by two separate artists.
The lights overhead would spin according to the
visitor's movement, so the whole effect was very
dizzying and disorienting. I like immersive
installation pieces!


They had a Takashi Murakami piece up! I love his stuff; it's so overly
saccharine, but with an implied irony. It's cheerful and colorful but just
slightly menacing as well. Um. At least that's my take on it.


Close-up of one section. I would hang his pieces on my
walls at home... if I could afford it! But even prints
usually cost waaay more than I can afford.


No comments:

Post a Comment