Monday, July 30, 2012

Next stop: Hanoi

In a blink of an eye, it seems, my month in Europe is over. Tomorrow, I fly out of Paris into Hanoi, Vietnam. This will be my first stop as I meet up with a 20 day tour that will take me through some very interesting cities in SouthEast Asia. We will be taking trains and private buses along the Vietnamese coast, eventually making our way into Cambodia and Thailand. Rough itinerary looks like this:



I am looking forward to this relative complete change in language, culture, and food. I do find it funny that I am leaving France to go to a country that still shows much French influence from colonization. What I'm not looking forward to so much is the weather, as it is currently monsoon season in much of Vietnam, with daily highs often reaching past 95 degrees. 

I leave France with many fond memories; it has been a delight to be able to explore without feeling the usual tourist time constraints. Paris is a wonderful city to explore on foot, with its small winding streets and old intricate architecture. There is so much to see (and eat); I could be here for a year and not experience it all.

What I may remember most though isn't necessarily the fancy stuff. There were a few relaxing afternoons where I bought some bread, and headed to a park for some reading. Sitting in the shade (Paris has fantastically comfortable chairs in the park, perfect for a nap), I looked up every once in a while to enjoy the view. Ah, until next time, Paris!

Au revoir!


3 comments:

  1. funny thing is that you will still find baguettes in Vietnam, with different stuffing of course. Time for some Pho!

    ReplyDelete
  2. safe travels! check in when you can. maybe the little french you picked up in france will come in useful in vietnam!

    ReplyDelete