Friday, July 13, 2012

Pastry of the Day: Streusel Tart

Well... I technically ate this yesterday but forgot to post the picture.

So as I wandered around Strasbourg yesterday, I got hungry for a little snack. I saw lots of German influences in their baked goods; lots of gingerbread and pretzel-based products. But as soon as I saw this, I knew I had to get it.



It's a fruit tart with a German twist! Instead of the usual tart shell, the base of this pastry is made out of a streusel cookie. Mascarpone cream is piped in the center, and then topped with raspberries and strawberries.

The streusel base really gave this classic pastry a different flavor. I thought that the mascarpone would have made it soggy, but the cookie stayed crunchy and provided a wonderful overall texture. I could taste a hint of ginger and cloves, which actually worked well with the fruit.

Sigh. My only lament is that I don't have another one in front of me right now!

No comments:

Post a Comment