Monday, July 23, 2012

Lille, France

So far, I have traveled east (Strasbourg), south (Lyon), and west (Mont St. Michel, Blois) from Paris. This week then, will be all about heading north. Today, I start by going to Lille, a city near the Belgium-France border.



This was a super fast trip; only 1 hour away from Paris. While most of the city is very modern, there are still some neighborhoods that offer a look at Belgian-inspired French architecture, including lots of brick-work. Beautiful cobble-stone streets set off these brightly colored buildings well, so walking through the old neighborhood was utterly charming.











The neighborhood spanned quite a few streets, which were all winding and small. So it was easy to get immersed in them and wander for a few hours. On the whole, a lot of big brand retail stores have sprouted up, but some smaller local ones remained and those were fun to window-shop at.

For the afternoon, I stopped by a huge Walmart-type store that was located right in between the two main train stations. Holy cow, there were AISLES devoted to snacks, and it was a lot of fun to see how differently French people shop (lots of patés, pickles, sweets).

A whole wall of olives!


These crackers are delicious! The 'Monaco' style is buttery like a Ritz, with some Gouda cheese on top. The 'Fromaggi' has a very sharp and strong Parmesean powder on it. I can't decide which one I like more!

Salty snacking


These gummies are my new favorite candy of the summer so far. These have been available at some vending machines around town, but a bigger bag was available at a cheaper price at the supermarket and I had to get it. Haribo does make some great flavors, and their whole sour gummy line has not disappointed me so far!

Sour Orangina gummies


And my non-new favorite candy! :) I guess the best American equivalent for these are fruit roll ups... but SO MUCH BETTER. I love the natural sweetness and slightly chewy texture. I haven't been able to find my favorite flavor (cassis), but most of the others are pretty yummy too.

A five-pack bag!


I had a few more places in mind to visit, but unfortunately Monday closures took them out of the running. It probably worked better for me anyway, as I could take my time and enjoy a pretty day in a pretty city.


No comments:

Post a Comment