Tuesday, July 3, 2012

London Underground


There was a moment, when I was sitting in the subway... pardon me, TUBE... when I had to stifle a giggle or two. And then I had to pinch myself, to make sure that this was really happening. I'm in London!



Four observations about the London Underground (aka, why it's not like the NYC subway):

1. The trains come OFTEN. Like, every minute and a half. In three days, through various lines and transfers, the longest time I've had to wait for a train was TWO minutes.

2. Londoners must either be cleaner than New Yorkers, or not care about hygiene as much. Subway seats are padded and covered in cloth. Wait. Where did the black plague originate from again?

3. Everything sounds more polite in a British accent. I don't know why it tickled me so much, but I envision an extremely competent and unsmiling English secretary moonlighting as the automated announcements voice for the subway. 'The next stop is... Green Park. Alight here for... Buckingham Palace.' Oooooo. Classy.

4. The names of all the underground lines are *bleeping* annoying. Did I want the Circle line? District?? Central? Picadilly?? Seriously, the cities that use colors in combination with letters or numbers are way ahead of the game. Then again, maybe Londoners WANT tourists to get lost!

All in all, I am having a blast. More to come... with more pictures and details!

No comments:

Post a Comment