Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Culture. It's nutritious and delicious!

So I don't think it's possible to eat all the time... even though I feel like that is all I've done since arriving in Paris. I took a break from all the lovely food today to feed my soul instead, with interesting works of art.

Originally, I had planned on going to the Rodin Museum. But alas, I ended up walking there from my sister's apartment at a leisurely stroll, to be greeted with a line out the door. Since the exhibit there closes early, I decided to try again another day.

Leisurely strolling through sculpted trees


Europeans make pretty bridges


Someone REALLY wants fish for dinner!


Luckily, there seems to be a major historical landmark and/or museum around every corner! As I passed by the pretty grounds of Les Invalides, surrounded by a moat and cannons, I meandered my way in. This place is huge; the French really know how to multitask their national landmarks. Originally set to be a hospital and retirement center for war veterans, it is now also home to several military-related museum exhibits, monuments, and burial tombs for some of France's greatest leaders (including Napolean Bonaparte).

Looming stormclouds make it look formidable, no?


I don't think I had ever seen this many cannons in my life. There is a huge collection of them here, ranging from different centuries, mostly made of bronze. Some of them were really ornate as well; I wonder if they were used only for decorative purposes.

Girl on Cannon


Staring down its deep dark maw


See? Completely decorative-looking.


Closeup of the above. Erm. Make love, not war?


In addition to cannons, there was also a huge selection of armor spanning several centuries. The most interesting pieces I found were the wide variety of helmets shown. While most looked to have practical purposes, several were also very intricate pieces of art.


This one says: I eat babies for lunch.


How could anyone take this guy seriously?


He's got a dragon on his head!


Looks like a helmet for an orc.


So cool. I want this one to wear around town.


There were also a bunch of military uniforms and such from the 16-18th centuries, but those pale in comparison to all the metal. Except for this mannequin. French mustaches never go out of style!

Bonjour to you too!


Strolling across the wide courtyard of this complex, I finally come across Napoleon's burial site. The outside of it is beautiful, and you can see it as you walk around town. But I had never been inside, and the scope of it took my breath away.

Crazy ceiling work


Napoleon Bonaparte. Overcompensating much?


Those columns must be 25 ft tall. And solid marble.


Seriously, the ceilings are impressive.

There's no way these pictures show how huge everything is in here, and how everything seems to be carved out of marble (or gilted in gold). Really impressive.

So I managed to walk for a few hours today, and saw some great sites. I think I earned myself a big meal tomorrow!!

I smell croissants! Let's go!

2 comments:

  1. Cool, we have never actually been in the invalides. How much was it to go in? And yes.....some of those canons were very much used in war and not just there to look intimidating =P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's 9 Euros to see mostly everything. There's a temporary exhibit that costs a little more, but I figured I already had plenty to look at.

      Delete