Thursday, July 5, 2012

The world's longest running play!

I am admittedly a huge Agatha Christie fan. So when I found out I'd be in London for a few days, the first thing I thought was that I needed to go see The Mousetrap.


It has very impressively been running for 60 years now in London, which does make it the longest running play in the world. Surprisingly, Agatha Christie herself didn't think that this play would last very long; she predicted a 9 month run at most.

This was probably my most anticipated activity in London. I've read the short story that was the basis of this play, and I was curious to see how it translated onto the stage.


The theater itself was a very small one, and I sat high up in the upper circle. While it initially seemed like the stage was really far away, I ended up liking this bird's eye view as it was easier to take in the entire set and all the characters.

The setting is a lodging house in the middle of a snowstorm. A policeman comes and gives the news that one among them is a murderer, and another is a potential victim. And even though I already knew how it all goes down, I still got a little chill down my spine when all was revealed and the audience gasped. Surprisingly, after the curtain, the cast implored us not to spoil the ending... which after 60 years, is quite the quaint request!


1 comment: