Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Jiminy Cricket Culture Shock!



I have arrived, safe and sound in Hanoi after an 11 hour flight! The flight was on time, and I breezed through customs in about 2 minutes. There was a huge line for the 'visa on arrival' counter, but since I already received my visa in New York, I was able to skip the crowds.

... not that it helped me though. Once I hit the main lobby, I was at a compete loss. I don't speak the language, I can't even try to read it... I ended up sitting for a few minutes to get my bearings. It's kind of funny because in the interim, I've been mistaken as Vietnamese a couple of times already. So my original (cheaper) plan was to take a Vietnam Airlines shuttle into the main city, and then cab it over to the hotel. But alas; I took one look at the empty, shady minibuses outside and I chickened out. I ended up taking a cab directly from the airport (which took 1 hour and cost $17 USD).

Wow. I mean, I knew to expect a very different atmosphere than I've ever seen before... I watch plenty of Anthony Bourdain! :P But the reality has been quite overwhelming. So. Many. Motorbikes. I feel like I don't know how to cross the road anymore! And yes, there are dozens of little hole in the wall places on every block offering all assortments of food. I really don't know how I'm going to stomach a steaming bowl of pho in this humidly oppressive heat, but I am sure going to try!

This is going to be a fun few weeks... it's so unlike anything I've come across before and I'm definitely looking forward to it.

On another note, my room is significantly better than what I was expecting. I paid extra for single occupancy, so this is where I'll be staying for the next 2 nights:

Not bad, eh?


Jetlaaaaaag. The bed is calling my name for a nap before my tour meeting this evening.

2 comments:

  1. $17 well spent. The hotel looks pretty decent in picture. I can see the first thing that you unpack is the computer :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Besides the random bug (thank goodness Florida has made me slightly less freaked out by huge palmetto bugs), the hotel isn't bad. If the rest of them are the same standard, I'll be happy.

      Ha. Yes, I think the computer was the second thing unpacked.

      Delete