Friday, October 19, 2012

Apartment hunting

Barring any unpleasant last minute surprises, I have landed an apartment in New York! The rental market here moves extremely fast; I saw the apartment on Sunday afternoon, and signed a lease on Tuesday. The landlord is currently painting and making some improvements, and I will be moving in next Monday.

The apartment is located on the border of the Sunset Park/Borough Park neighborhoods in Brooklyn, about four blocks away from the closest subway station. It is a richly diverse area, with a Mexican population to the west, Brooklyn's largest Chinatown to the south, and an Orthodox Jewish population to the east. In other words, there is lots and LOTS of food.

The apartment is roughly where the yellow star is


And if you're wondering what's to the north... well, it's one of the largest cemeteries in New York City. It's actually a beautiful space with lots of trees; I sometimes visit and take a long peaceful walk on a nice day.

Greenwood Cemetery during autumn last year


The apartment itself is fairly small, but has a unique layout that will work since my brother Jon will be joining me in New York in a few weeks. Finding the right space has been a challenge because I wanted to stay extremely economical (apartments here are expensive!), and yet not compromise on getting some private space for each one of us. There were definitely larger apartments for the price, but this one contains two separate rooms, each with a door. Immediately upon entering the apartment, the kitchen area is right in front. To the right will be my room, and to the left will be Jon's room.

Kitchen area. The landlord is hopefully installing new cabinets now


My future room, about 10x12 in size. If you look through my door, you
can see straight into Jon's room, past the kitchen.


Jon's 8x11 room. No closets, so we'll have to get creative on
storage options.


A very cozy bathroom. The sink is about half of
normal size.


I'm really looking forward to moving in, and then setting up the place. Can't wait until it's ready for some 'after' pictures!

1 comment:

  1. Andy Siu said...
    Some time ago, We bought a small cabiniet from Ikea that worked like a closet, economical and practical. You may want to consider it for Jon's room. Let me know if you are interested. I will get you more information.
    October 22, 2012 12:56 PM

    ReplyDelete