Monday, August 6, 2012

Trains, Buses, and Motorbikes

I have completely lost track of time! I don't know what day of the week it is, and forget sometimes just how long I've been in Vietnam so far. I think I'm about 2 days behind on my posting, so let's get updated!

After a gloriously fun time at Halong Bay, we drove back to Hanoi to get on an overnight sleeper train down to Hue. Somehow I suspected that a train experience in Vietnam wasn't quite going to be like riding the TGV or Eurostar. :)

All aboard!


Each car was divided up into about 8 compartments with 2 bunk beds each (total of 4 beds). A toilet was located at the end of each compartment. It was definitely on the cozy side, but was amply and thankfully air-conditioned. The toilets though... definitely left a lot to be desired. Let's just say that I tried not to drink too much water, and made copious use of antibacterial gel (thanks, Pui!).

Compact but relatively comfortable


The whole trip took about 14 1/2 hours. The ride was definitely bumpy and loud compared to the smooth rides in Europe. But you know... speeding through the Vietnamese countryside at night while sitting in a train compartment with 5 other people chatting the evening away... it was definitely something special and very memorable.

I ended up not sleeping too well, and woke up every time the train paused at a station. I gave up on sleep just as the sun was coming up, and was treated to some beautiful scenery as I looked out the window. Fields of rice paddies, serene lakes shining off mountains, tiny villages with chickens in the front yard... I definitely was in a whole new world. The funny highlight was when I saw a water buffalo lumber around and chase some ducks into a canal. It unfortunately happened too quickly for the camera to catch, but I did get this view:

Lush paddies of rice. Second harvest of the year!


We finally arrived in Hue around 10:30am local time, and checked in immediately at our hotel to drop off our things. I was starting to get excited around this time; every day has been such an adventure... what will today bring??

Nice and clean!


After a quick lunch, we found a bunch of motorbikes waiting for us outside the restaurant. Ooooh, what is this? A nice after-lunch afternoon ride? Sign me up! Each one of us got a driver and a motorbike, and within a few quick minutes (safety helmets ON!) we were on our way!

Vroom vroom!


Once again, there are pictures of me on a motorbike, but they are on someone else's camera! They will get uploaded when I get the pics. Suffice it to say that I was armed with nothing more than a helmet, sunglasses, and dopey grin on my face.

Don't run over the cows!


The ride was fantastically fun. We zoomed around Hue to look at various old ruins and war bunkers and temples; this was so much faster than walking! It wasn't scary at all to ride backseat on the motorbike; our drivers were pros and definitely knew what they were doing. And although we did have to weave around some traffic, it wasn't nearly as bad as Hanoi. We eventually made our way up to soak in some fantastic scenery as well.

What a view!


Local lady making a hat


Pretty pagoda


Listening to monks chanting


We are SO COOL.


We ended up biking for about 3 1/2 hours; this was a fantastic deal for $15 total. So much fun!

I've been getting really lucky with my hotel room views too. At dusk:

Lovely city!


Hue was definitely a very fun city to visit. It's not as hectic and crazy as Hanoi, but still bustling and full of things to see. The day flew by, and I was a little sad to see that we were only slated for one day in Hue. But after a good night's sleep, we were all settled into a very comfortable, large, air-conditioned private bus for a 4-hour drive from Hue to Hoi An.

I have to say that the pacing of this tour is really well planned; we have had really fun activities to do in each city (all optional). And now, just as we're feeling a little tired, we get a nice bus ride and a 3 day/2 night stay in our next city.

Updating about the bus ride to Hoi An will have to wait until tomorrow though. This has been a long post already, and I have an 7am wake-up time. Until the morrow then!

1 comment:

  1. Looks like one of those notorious biker gang photo. Really cool! Even has a bit of 天若有情 feel :D

    ReplyDelete