Monday, August 11, 2014

Wanderings...

Wow, I haven't updated in 3 months! These three months have been very quiet though, travel-wise. Not to say that it hasn't been an adventure... working in a kindergarten is a VERY wild ride, to say the least! There were times when I didn't think I'd make it. Now finally, Obon holiday week has come, and I have made my way to Taipei!

When I visit a new location, there's usually something I'd like to do there. Many times, my motivation involves food. But in the case of visiting Taipei, the ENTIRE reason is to consume food. I've been reading for years about the lovely Taiwanese night markets and the plentifully cheap street food. And finally I'm here, for about 5 days. How much food can I eat in 5 days?


The airport is quite beautiful!


Oh, and besides the food that I am eagerly awaiting to eat, I am really looking forward to sitting on a couch and sleeping on a bed. Not that my room in Japan isn't lovely... but like many traditional Japanese homes, everything is placed directly on the floor. My poor knees have been complaining for months! For this Taipei trip, I splurged on a cute Airbnb studio, complete with MY OWN BATHROOM! Oh the luxury. :)

Soft bed, comfortable layout. I'd be happy to LIVE here!


Never thought having my own toilet could make me
so happy!


For my first meal in Taipei, I wanted something quick. I was late getting to my room, and I was hungry. So I stopped at the second place I saw (the first one was empty.... hmmm) and got some wontons. It was interesting; it was supposed to be wontons in red chili oil (紅油抄手), but I'm wondering if my Mandarin is bad and I got something else entirely. The wontons were dressed in a vinegary sauce and topped with sesame paste. It was still tasty though!



Whew. I am looking forward to stretching out my stomach over the next few days!

5 comments:

  1. 鳳梨酥, 滷肉飯, 蚵仔麵, 鼎泰豐 (original) & 鉋冰!!

    Yummmm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha... pretty much everything you've listed is on my list... the challenge will be to get through them all!

      Delete
    2. Actually... maybe except for 鼎泰豐. Have you been? I've heard mixed reports about it, some people say it's overrated. Is it?

      Delete
    3. Never been to the one in Taiwan but went to the ones in Toronto and Seattle. From what I heard, the one in Taiwan's ranked the top of all, then Toronto and HK. Well, there is only one way to find out :)

      Delete
  2. well, looks like CNN is a step ahead of me on this topic.

    http://travel.cnn.com/explorations/eat/40-taiwanese-food-296093

    ReplyDelete