Thursday, August 14, 2014

Taipei, Day 3 - Din Tai Fung (and more shaved ice)

"What to eat in Taiwan?" was a question that I asked both friends and Google before arriving in Taipei. No matter who I asked, one restaurant name kept popping up: Din Tai Fung. They're apparently world-famous for their soup dumplings (小籠包), and have over a dozen locations throughout the world (including... Osaka :P). One location in Hong Kong even has its own Michelin Star!

As with all famous things though, there are its fans and there are its critics. I've always loved going to New York's Shanghai restaurants, and I haven't had a xiaolongbao in months. So I took advantage of my visit and decided to go to the original Din Tai Fung on Xinyi Road (there are four branches in Taipei city).

Conveniently located right off the Dong Men stop!


At 10:30 in the morning, there were already about a dozen groups waiting for tables. The wait was short though (about 10 minutes), and I got a menu to look at to contemplate my order. There was a large number of staff to handle all the customers, and they all seemed to be multi-lingual! They quickly switched to English with me, while addressing others in Japanese. Indeed, there seemed to be a large ratio of Japanese tourists there (we're ALL on Obon holiday, after all!).

Perusing menu as I wait.


The menu was quite large, but the stars are these five
types of soup dumplings. Look at the last one: $15 USD
for pork and truffle dumplings! $3 a dumpling!


While the xiaolongbao usually came in orders of 10, there was luckily an option for a half order. I waffled between getting the classic pork, or the pork with crab roe. What the heck; I decided to splurge on the crab roe... although over $1 a bao, it didn't come cheap! For a refreshing textural change, I also got an order of the spicy pickled cucumbers.

Crisp and lightly pickled cucumbers.


Amusingly, the waitress handed each guest instructions on how to eat soup dumplings. The how-to featured instructions written in Chinese, Korean, Japanese, English, and French! Ha... what happened to Spanish?

The back had the same information, but in its
Japanese and French translations.


The soup dumplings came out quickly. A cute little crab cutout indicated what type of dumpling was in the basket. I peeked over at my neighbors' basket (I was sharing a table with two other Japanese couples), and they had an adorable little chick in theirs! Time to eat!

The cloth lining ensured that every dumpling can be picked up
without sticking to the bamboo basket.


I do have to give my compliments on the wrapper. It seemed impossibly thin, yet retained a toothsome chewiness. The pork was sweet and fresh, obviously of high quality. There was a good quantity of crab roe, infusing the dumpling with a rich flavor.

Inside shot of juicy goodness


Was it tasty? Absolutely. Was it the best soup dumpling I've ever had? Hm. Probably not. For one, there was less 'soup' than I expected. Secondly, temperature has a huge effect on soup dumplings, and my preference is that they should be served scorchingly hot. Biting a small hole in the wrapper of a xialongbao to cool down the insides juuust enough to slurp it down is one of the small joys in life. These dumplings were hot, yet cool enough that I could just pop an entire one in my mouth if I had wanted.

Of course, these reasons are quite subjective. I still enjoyed the dumplings greatly, and managed to walk out for under $10 USD. As a fun experiment, I think I'm going to get soup dumplings again tomorrow morning... from the street vendor across the street from where I'm staying. Let's see and compare!

After my early lunch, I walked around Yong Kang Street (永康街) and browsed its cute little shops. I passed by this giant of a place:



While tempted, I suffered sticker shock at its prices (one of the mango ices was $6 USD!). Also, I wasn't particularly looking to have the snowy style shaved ice again. Luckily, I found a little hole-in-the-wall place serving the classic thing (after walking around for like an hour!), and got myself a dessert!

If I could, I would eat one EVERY DAY.


I don't know why I've been craving the red beans lately more than the fruity versions. This ice was huge, seriously about the size of my entire head. Yes, I ate it all. And at 70 NTD ($2.33 USD), a very reasonable price!


No comments:

Post a Comment