Saturday, March 1, 2014

One month in...

... and what have I been doing?

Um.

Eating.

A lot.

The food here is cheap and delicious; 'fast food' sit-down places are plentiful and the food is cooked to order. I can buy the ingredients from a supermarket and cook it at the guest house; but with no tipping and no need to wash the dishes afterwards, I have been 'splurging' on my non-worktime meals!

More Takoyaki. So warm and custardy, they
are definitely addictive!


A small bowl of udon, topped with fried tofu skin, scallions, a few
slices of duck, and a duck meatball. Perfect size for a light lunch, and
only costs $2.90.


This was a friend's meal, but look how gorgeous it is! Pork katsu, with a
bowl of soba, salad, and pickles.


This was my lunch, soba with mountain vegetables.


I haven't gotten the hang of the Japanese trend of doubling up on the
carbs yet. Udon AND rice at the same meal?? Seems like overkill. Kinda.


Sure, there's a language and cultural barrier as I spend more time in Japan. But at least the language of food is universal, and I am certainly getting plenty of practice here!


2 comments:

  1. why choose between ramen or don when you can have both! Yum. As you can tell, I am not doing Akin diet yet :)

    Is that oyakodon at the last pix?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha. It was indeed difficult to choose between noodles and rice, which was why I decided to get both! Not sure if that's a good idea on a regular basis though. :)

      The last picture is actually a katsu-don, fried pork cutlet. One thing that has surprised me about Japan is how common fried items are; here I was, thinking that food would be HEALTHIER here!

      Delete