Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Getting warm in the kitchen

As the weather gets warmer, I am starting to make more salads. With no bacon at my disposal, what could I possibly do to make all these vegetables tasty??? Here's what I've been making for some clients...

I'm trying to add at least one seasonal ingredient into most dishes I make.
For this dish, I paired asparagus, which is tender and sweet in the Spring,
with shrimp (also sweet!).  I added some sliced hearts of palm, and served
it with a lemon parsley vinaigrette on the side.


Tuna niçoise salad (although with green garlic olives instead of small
French black niçoise). A tuna steak was seared, and arranged artfully
with the rest of the salad. The dressing, served on the side, was a dijon
shallot vinaigrette. Secret ingredient? A brined anchovy filet that was
blended into the dressing, adding a salty oomph.


I brined this chicken breast for about an hour before pan searing, and
the end result was definitely juicier and tastier than usual. This was
served on top of oven-roasted mushrooms and radishes. Radishes are
in season now, and its peppery bite is mellowed when roasted.


Another frittata (the client keeps asking for them... she must love eggs).
This one was made with chicken, spinach, and oven-roasted tomatoes.


Brussel sprouts are really a winter crop, but I couldn't resist making them
into an untraditional salad. The sprouts are thinly cut and mixed with a
mustard-vinegar dressing, so they almost resemble a slaw. Sliced red
onion and radishes add some more crunch, and I topped it off with sliced
almonds (not shown here) for some nutty flavor. Because brussel sprouts
can come off slightly bitter, I thought seared shrimp would go well with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment