Wednesday, January 16, 2013

New project!!!

Although I don't consider myself an art-y person by any means, I am definitely a craft-y one. At most times, I'll have some sort of fun little project in the works, often as gifts for friends. From making jewelry to glass mosaics to abstract painting, I've done a lot over the years. So yesterday as I was browsing the very famous Mood fabric store for a client's own project, I was suddenly seized by the desire to make a shirt. And so I found a bolt of wool in a pretty dark purple color and made an impulse purchase! At $14 for the yard of fabric, it was a great deal too!

A figurative blank canvas! So many possibilities.


The wool is thin and soft, and I have decided to make a simple tunic style shirt. Perhaps I'm a little ambitious, as I will be doing all sewing by hand, and I don't have any patterns to use. I measured the fabric against a shirt I like, and began cutting. Then I sewed, using a simple but strong backstitch, and I soon had this:

Ha, this would make a cute tank top!
(And I realize I probably need to clean my
camera lens)


This is as far as I have gotten; sleeves will be the next thing to tackle. I have enough fabric to make 1/2 length sleeves... it will be tricky attaching them though. Then finally, I'll take in the waist a little bit so the fit is a little more flattering.

Projects are so much fun!



3 comments:

  1. Wow! You worked fast! It looks pretty good so far!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are really hands on these days. Very DIY feel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, all the cooking and crafts was definitely something I missed doing when on my trip. Unfortunately, all this is not helping my brother to diet! :)

      Delete