Tuesday, January 22, 2013

More empanadas - pictures post!

Decided to cook today, and make a different sort of empanadas. This time, I used a flour-based dough and baked them instead of frying.

3 cups of flour, a pinch of salt, one stick of butter (!!), and a packet of
Goya seasoning, which contains saffron.


I don't have a large mixer, but it's not difficult to make dough by hand.
Just cut in the butter until it disappears into small pea-sized lumps.
Afterwards, I mixed in an egg yolk and milk until it comes together.


The filling: ground beef, onions, mushrooms, tomatoes, cilantro


I also mixed in some rice and queso blanco, which is a really mild
cheese. Kind of like mozzarella, just a little firmer in texture.


Completed filling. Err... I totally made too much.


Time to wrap! Rolled out the dough into a rough circle...


Added a spoonful of filling...


And... empanadas! I brushed on an egg wash before putting in oven.


After 20 minutes in the oven; ready to eat... almost!


But first I wanted to make a simple dipping sauce. A classic Argentinian
chimichurri sauce is typically made with parsley. But the cilantro at the
market looked better (and frankly I like cilantro more!). So, a bunch of
cilantro went into my mini processor along with garlic, salt, lime juice,
olive oil, and a sprinkle of cayenne pepper.


Chimichurri sauce! This got better as it sat; the herbs and acidity
tastes so bright and fresh!


Yummy!


There's enough for leftovers tomorrow!

\


No comments:

Post a Comment