Thursday, November 15, 2012

Warmth, inside and out

Some of the fondest memories I have in my life are related to food. No surprise there, huh? Not only of how the food tasted though, but of the people around me at that time. Our conversation, our laughter, the sharing of the food... these all add to my enjoyment. One type of meal I've always loved is hot pot. I liked that it was a slow meal; nobody ever rushed through one of these dinners. Even in the warm climate of Miami, I have memories of my uncles and parents getting together outside by the pool area in front of a big pot. And then as I got older, my university friends and I would stretch together a small budget to accommodate as much food as possible, and then throw in some rice to cook in the residual soup to make sure everyone went home full and happy.

So with the weather turning cooler in New York these past few days, we thought that it was the perfect time for the three Yuen siblings to go have some hot pot. I had found a great online coupon for a place nearby, and so off we went! The food was slightly pricey but of good quality, and we even got some free dessert afterwards!

Our assortment of meats and veggies


Our soup base seemed pretty healthy! There was ginseng, and red
jujube dates in a pork/chicken broth. Best part is, we got to take it
home afterwards! It's going to be great with noodles tomorrow!


Jon, looking in awe at the huge platter
of condiments placed in front of us.


No comments:

Post a Comment