Sunday, November 25, 2012

Mmm.... eggs

I recently read about a way to make eggs that I had never tried before! I mean, I know that eggs are pretty versatile (over easy, poached, scrambled, in a frittata, quiche...), but this dish sounded delightfully decadent and yet simple. And so... eggs en cocotte!

To start off, I buttered the insides of two individual-sized ramekins. I dropped a little cheese in there as well (traditionally done with gruyere, but can be done with any cheese available. I had a sharp Vermont cheddar), and put the ramekins in the oven to warm up.

Butter-y!


The warming up is actually a fairly important step. The more traditional way of making this dish involves cooking the eggs very slowly in the oven in a bain-marie (water bath), but heating up the ramekin first largely takes this step out of the equation. After everything got warm and bubbly, I retrieved the ramekins and dropped an egg in each. I then topped each egg with about a tablespoon of heavy cream, added some more shredded cheese, and sprinkled on a little salt and pepper.

Eggs and cream (no cheese yet)


I put the ramekins back into the oven, this time under the broiler. Now, my oven is OLD and doesn't even have temperature numbers, so I have no idea what temperature I cooked the eggs at, unfortunately. I just kept checking until everything looked about right.

I was looking for a slightly browned top (from the cheese), with the egg whites just set and the yolk still runny. I ended up taking the ramekin from the broiler to the oven for a few extra minutes just to make sure the egg whites were cooked. All in all, it took maybe about 7-10 minutes.

It is starting to look delicious!!


I ate this served with toast. Each ingredient made for a sum greater than its parts; the rich yolk, decadent cream, slightly salty cheese... all combined for a really fantastic bite of food. It was warm and somehow delicate tasting (even with the cream and butter!).

I think I'll definitely make this dish again. It lends to endless variations (add bacon, or herbs, or mushrooms, or tomato, etc), and is pretty easy to do in a larger, oven-proof container if I wanted a bigger serving. Yay, eggs!

Nom nomnom




2 comments:

  1. looks simple enough! will have to try this

    ReplyDelete
  2. Next time you come out to visit, we have to watch my Pepin Essentials DVD together. He makes this in the "eggs" section of the disc (he said it was his wife's favorite breakfast). Yours looks just like his!

    ReplyDelete