Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Seoul - Day 3, Part 1

I have come to realize that I will not get to do everything I've planned on this trip. This city has so much to see and do, it's very impressive! My legs ache from walking around so much!

To start today off, I visited another palace, Changdeokgung. It is another one of the great palaces built by the kings of the Joseon dynasty. Like many other great buildings, much of it was destroyed or burned throughout the years, mostly due to Japanese invasion. This place was massive; the rebuilding of it must have taken years!

Main palace building


I'm finding Korean structures to be much more colorful than the
Japanese counterparts


The inside of the main palace building


I have been enjoying seeing palaces in Korea; they are a nice change after all the shrines and temples in Japan. You can really tell that this used to be a place of residence, with clearly defined living quarters, and lots of chimneys where fires would be placed. There were so many buildings that they formed a maze within the grounds, although there was also a massive center building that must have been the throne room. Once again, it was a lot of fun to imagine the people who used to live here, serving the royalty.





See? Huge palace grounds!




See the two critters (raccoons, I think?) hanging out? They're totally
like, 'hey, this is MY palace''!

No comments:

Post a Comment