Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Salad for dinner

I'm finally home again! It was cute and fun to have a dog around, but I don't think I'm cut out for pet ownership. They're so needy and clingy... I don't think I'd be okay with that after a while.

Anyway, it's nice to be in my own kitchen again with all my usual ingredients and tools. Since it's still technically summer, I wanted to make something light and seasonal for dinner. It ended up being kind of a kitchen sink sort of dish, but still very delicious and fresh!

Not pictured: the rest of the salad. Of course I'm eating more than this
little plate!


I started with jicama as a base, then added carrots and radishes into the mix. Three different types of crunchy, with the sweetness of the jicama and carrots offsetting the slight bitterness of the radish. To that, I added a handful of local summer tomatoes. It's amazing how much sweeter and juicier tomatoes are when they're in season! I had some herbs in the fridge, and julienned in a handful (mint, cilantro) before dressing everything with a lime and sesame oil vinaigrette. I let everything hang out in the fridge for about half an hour, then it's chomping time!

Sweet, tart, crunchy and juicy... the only thing that would have made this better is some protein (mmm... shrimp!). But alas, my fridge is pretty bare at the moment, so I will just have to be vegetarian for the evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment