Monday, April 8, 2013

Rice crepes

Ah. Warmer temperatures in New York always signal a hankering to venture outside for some food. Like bears after a winter of hibernation, hungry New Yorkers flock to food carts and trucks scattered around town. The other day, I bought a warm, steamy container of rice crepes from a vendor in Chinatown.

New York Rice crepes


The rice crepes were warm from the steamer, its texture smooth. Little bursts of extra savoriness came from the scallions and dried shrimp dotted throughout. The combination of sweet soy and peanut sauce gave the rice crepes a flavorful nutty aroma. As a bonus, I also got some fish balls as an accompaniment. For $1.75, this was a satisfying and filling lunch.

I definitely finished my quick meal with a smile on my face, but these rice crepes made me wish for some others that I had, halfway around the world.

HK Rice crepes


Mmm. There is no comparison; the rice crepes from Hong Kong are superior, especially in texture. While the NY rice crepes bordered on soft-going-on-gummy, the HK rice crepes were silken, each one providing a bouncy toothsome chew. I loved the sprinkle of sesame seeds on top, and at a mere 75 cents USD for a small serving of 4 crepe ribbons (or $1.25 for 8, I think), this was an eminently affordable snack.

Of course, I feel very lucky to even have rice crepes so readily available nearby. But isn't it great that we live in a world where we can have so many comparisons? And... aren't you hungry now? :)




4 comments:

  1. Grrrrrrrrrr (noise my stomach is making)

    They have this in Chicago but it's dry and thick. Just not the same.

    ReplyDelete
  2. eee!! soooo jealous....you know I have a thing for rice crepes!! Dammit...I have a craving for them now >_<

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well... I thought of you when I was eating this. :D That totally makes it better, right?

      Delete
    2. sure....think what you must....

      Delete