Tuesday, April 9, 2013

My favorite noodles

Lest I sound disparaging towards the city of New York, I feel like I should highlight one of its culinary treasures. So I present, my favorite bowl of noodles:

Chiu-chow style fish ball noodle soup. $4 after tax.


Granted, I have many bowls of favorite noodle soup (a good pho or ramen is always welcome in my book!), but if I were to choose one, it would be this. This Chiu-chow rendition of the popular Cantonese soup has a few small but important variations. The ho-fun noodles are fresh and firm - cut into thick slurpable strips. This is suspended in a meaty broth, augmented with scallions, chunks of minced pork, and delicious morsels of pickled vegetables. The fish balls are springy with a great texture. A quick dash of white pepper is sprinkled on top, and this deliciousness is ready to eat!

But that's not all! This establishment also makes its own yummy chili oil:

Spicy but so good!


This chili oil is comprised of not only chili peppers, but also sesame seeds, crushed peanuts, and minced dried shrimp! This lends a spicy and almost... umami taste to the oil. It is so good over the fish balls.

While this is especially exquisite to eat during the winter months, I find that the craving for this bowl of noodles is sure to occur year-round!

No comments:

Post a Comment