Sunday, April 27, 2014

Sumiyoshi-taisha Shrine

On this particularly nice and mild Spring day, I decided to spend some time outdoors. A quick internet search led me to one of the oldest shrines in the region: Sumiyoshi-taisha, located only a short train ride away. Whee; let's go! Wikipedia tells me that this was founded back in the year 211 (although most of the buildings were re-built back in the 1800s). Free of Buddhist influence, the architecture here is supposed to be quite unique. This shrine is popular with local visitors around New Year's, and this sprawling complex houses not only four main sumiyoshi shrines, but multiple smaller ones as well.

Entrance to the shrine area


Before entering, visitors first have to go over a very steep bridge. It's quite beautiful and dramatic looking!

Definitely should hold on to the sides for safety!


So steep!


Once visitors make it over the bridge, there is a small fountain of water. As part of a purification ritual, you're supposed to rinse your hands, then take some water in your mouth and spit it out on the side. I saw some foreign tourists doing that, but I wasn't sure about the cleanliness of the water. So I just rinsed my hands.

The water was cool and refreshing.


Finally ready to enter!


There are four main shrines, and they are supposed to help protect fishermen and sailors. There are also a handful of smaller shrines, each dedicated to some form of success in business, or family.

To pay respects, put the offering in the box, ring the bell, bow twice,
clap your hands twice, and bow again.


I wonder if this little doggie is supposed to be
protecting the shrine he's in front of, or if he's the
deity of the shrine?!


Pretty sure this shrine is for motherhood. Maybe fertility?


Good luck cats! Available with right OR left paw raised.


Another shrine


Lots of wishes! I think this bunch was in front of a shrine for
scholarship; I saw a lot of "I hope I pass!" type wishes written.


What are these people looking for?


So... I'm supposed to find three rocks with words written on them?


Here they are! I wasn't sure about the procedure (something about putting
them into a pouch after making a wish?)... so I just threw the pebbles
back behind the fence.


It was so peaceful to walk slowly through the area, and fun to learn a little bit of history while taking in some beautiful scenery!






No comments:

Post a Comment